Pages

Monday, January 22, 2018

When it Rains it Pours

Whoever made up that saying, 'When it rains, it pours' ... Well, they weren't kidding. 2017 ended with a crash and a whimper, but for context let me take you back ... 

My mum had been struggling with her health all year. She'd had weeks off work with bronchitis, she'd had a weight loss surgery in August, found out she had chronic liver failure, she'd developed serious lymphadima in her legs, and gone into hospital with a cellulitis infection. We didn't think it could get much worse. But it did.

My mother was admitted to hospital in mid November because she suddenly experienced acute multiple organ failure. She spent four weeks in Intensive Care with some of the most wonderful, kind and compassionate doctors in the world. She passed away peacefully in her sleep two weeks before Christmas.

My sister and I organised a funeral and we spent a very solemn Christmas with our aunties.

It still doesn't feel real. But then it hits me all at once.

I was hoping for 2018 to be better but do far the odds are not in my favour. The only good thing that's come of this is that I found a healthy distraction from the sorrow. I set myself up for freelance editing--something I'd mentioned to my mum early last year and she'd been nagging me to hurry up and do it ever since.

So that has been a crappy few months. I'm hoping everyone else's Christmas / New Year / Holiday Season was better.

I'm going to try and be more active here again and hopefully I'll think of something more uplifting for my next post.

Much love,
Bon.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss, Bonnee.

    Quite frankly, it's not something you ever get over. It will always hurt, but it does ease with time, and it changes, too. Cry when you need to, and lean on family, because they know what you're going through.

    Be well, and take your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Jeff. I know this effect me and my family forever and we need to take care of each other.

      Delete

Have your say.